Volunteers Needed (BIC Members Only)

BIC Task and Finish Working Groups

Page last updated 20th July 2017

This page lists the current Task & Finish Working Groups which are open exclusively to BIC Members.

Please note that the right to sit on a BIC Committee or BIC Task & Finish Working Group, is reserved for BIC members only. 

Non-members should not apply.

 

DIGITAL SUPPLY CHAIN COMMITTEE:

1) Publisher/Imprint Acquisitions & Divestments Task & Finish Working Group - Guidance & Best Practice for Data along the Supply Chain (Digital (phase one) and Physical (phase two))

What is the project about?
The purpose of the project is to identify, agree and communicate a set of best practice guidelines for all organisations in the book industry to adhere to when publishers acquire/divest imprints/publishers/title lists etc.

Given the nature of acquisitions/divestments, it is recognised that it will not always be possible to execute the best practice guidelines/actions in advance, however the guidelines will cover all areas of the supply chain impacted by acquisitions/divestments of this nature. They will provide a clear schedule of events, communications and tasks that need to happen, by whom and in what order. As such it is intended that the guidelines will not be issued solely with publishers in mind but will also include best practice for data aggregators, retailers, service providers, distributors and so on, with clarity on where responsibility lies within the supply chain as a whole

Who are we looking for?
We are looking for volunteers that haveday to day involvment with, or are regularly impacted by acquisition and/or divestments right across the supply chain. We need input from publishers, but we also need input from distributors, data aggregators, retailers, service providers, digital asset management organisations, wholesalers, libraries, printers, shippers, link resolvers etc.

What skills are we looking for?
We are looking for volunteers with experience of the issues and challenges raised by acquisitions/divestments. We need people with a great attention to detail, but also the ability to consider the supply chain in its entirety: to see the bigger picture and think creatively. The successful volunteer will ideally have digital supply chain experience on some level and will be authorised to fully represent their organisation and make key decisions on behalf of their organisation.

What level of committment are we looking for?
We are looking for reliable volunteers that are committed to attending every meeting.

It is estimated the meetings will be held monthly (a combination of face-to-face sessions, and conference calls) - although this may be subject to change depending on the opinion of the Project Lead.

Signed off Project Brief

 

BIC LIBRARIES COMMITTEE:

1) e4libraries Accreditation Scheme Review Task & Finish Working Group  

 Project Brief     (and addendum)

 

2) BIC RFID Privacy Task & Finish Working Group

What is RFID & Privacy?
RFID is a wireless technology which transmits and stores data and the EU is interested in protecting its citizens in the area of privacy and data protection. If a library patron's library book can be detected by an RFID reader and the book, author, subject obtained by a third party this could be a privacy concern. If patron data including identity, contact details or payment history etc. were identifiable from the RFID tag in a book or from related library management systems, then this would be a cause for concern. BIC is keen to understand the scope of this issue for libraries and to be able to advise libraries on the best course of action to protect their patrons/customers and to comply with any forthcoming privacy legislation.

Who are we looking for?
Librarians, RFID vendors, LMS vendors, library managers, senior librarians involved in policy issues.

What skills are we looking for?
Analytical ability, library experience, creative thinking.

How long will we need our volunteers? What commitment do we need?
The working group is now in existence and is expected to be so for up to 3 years depending on the speed of the EU progress in this area. There will be an initial investigation and set up phase which will require face to face meetings. At some point guidelines may be needed and this will necessitate more face to face meetings and document review. But it is also likely that there could be some months of inactivity whilst the EU moves slowly towards legislation with the working group maintaining a watching brief.

 Project Brief

 

3) Near Field Communications Technology - Risk to RFID in Libraries

Project Brief

 

4) Libraries Web Services Task & Finish Working Group

What is this Working Group charged with?
This working group is charged with developing of a suite of BIC Web Services specifically designed for use in libraries. It will imitate the successful BIC Realtime methodology already in use by BIC to develop web services for the trade. The formal deliverables are a new suite of BIC Library web services, including a number of new message pairs, with accompanying guidelines documentation/Implementation Checklist and FAQs

Who are we looking for?
Volunteers are likely to come from data/information and standards providers, academic and special libraries, public libraries, library stock suppliers, system vendors, wholesalers, academic and trade publishers, and will be decision makers for their respective organisations.

What skills are we looking for?
We are looking for volunteers that have a good eye for detail, are able to deliver against a deadline. Analytical, and logically minded with supply chain experience. EDItX, EDI and XML knowledge/expertise would be highly desirable.

How long we will need our volunteers? What commitment are we looking for?
The project is scheduled to run from January / February 2017 through to February 2018
The frequency of the working group meetings is expected to be bi-monthly with all but the first one being conference calls as follows:

i) Set up meeting - Jan / Feb 2017, face-to-face.

ii) Following meetings - March, May, July, November 2017 and February 2018, as conference calls. We would ideally hope that all volunteers would make themselves available to attend every meeting. In addition it is likely that volunteers will have actions to deliver against to a deadline.

Project Brief

 

BIC PHYSICAL SUPPLY CHAIN COMMITTEE:

1) Price & Availability Task & Finish Working Group

What is this working group charged with?
To investigate the reasons for the problems with:
     i) Product availability information and then
     ii) Accuracy of price and currency data from publishers, suppliers and data aggregators and
the impact on data recipients.
To help all interested parties improve accuracy of information be devising and publishing best practice documentation, this to inlcude Tradacoms List 54 and EDIFACT.

Who are we looking for?
We are looking for volunteers to sit on this working group who have a good understanding of Tradacoms and EDIFACT and who have experience of price and availability issues in the supply chain. We need people who work closely with price and availability information, and who are able to make key decisions on behalf of their own organisation. You are likely to be working for a publishing house, a book retailer, a distributor, data aggregator or a wholesaler.

What skills are we looking for?
Analytical & logical thinking, with supply chain experience.  Some EDIFACT and Tradacoms experience would be desirable. Familiarity with availability codes essential.

How long will we need our volunteers? What commitment do we need?
This project is planned in 2 phases.
Phase 1 is scheduled to end by the end of July 2015
Phase 2 is scheduled to end by end of January 2017
Ideally we would like volunteers to be able to commit to both phases of the project. More detail of the anticipated timeline can be found in the Project Brief below.

Project Brief (signed off by the BIC Physical Supply Chain Committee)

 

2) Web Services Task & Finish Working Group

What is this Working Group charged with?
This working group is charged with delivering an updated suite of web services and accompanying guidance documentation accommodating changes requested by BIC members and made more fit for purpose.

BIC developed a suite of Trade XML Web Services in 2006 and 2009: they've not been updated since.

Who are we looking for?
We are looking for reliable volunteers to sit on this working group who have direct experience of using BIC's suite of Trade XML Services. Volunteers are likely to come from data/information providers, retailers, publishers, distributors, wholesalers, and will be decision makers for their respective organisations.

What skills are we looking for?
We are looking for volunteers that have a good eye for detail, are able to deliver against a deadline. Analytical, and logically minded with supply chain experience. EDItX, EDI and XML knowledge/expertise would be highly desirable.

How long we will need our volunteers? What commitment are we looking for?
The project is scheduled to run from January 2015 through to September 2015
The frequency of the working group meetings is expected to be bi-monthly with all but the first one being conference calls as follows:
     i) Set up meeting - Jan/Feb 2015, face-to-face.
     ii) Following meetings - March, May, July and September 2015, as conference calls.
In addition volunteers may have actions to deliver against to a deadline. We would ideally hope that all volunteers would make themselves available to attend every meeting.

Project Brief (signed off by the BIC Physical Supply Chain Committee)

 

3) Print on Demand & Short Run Printing Best Practice Task & Finish Working Group

What is this working group charged with?
This working group is charged with defining, agreeing and promoting a set of best practices for short run and print-on-demand printing work flows for publishers, printers, distributors and any other stakeholders that may be identified by the working group.

Who are we looking for?
We are looking for reliable volunteers who have physical supply chain experience within the book industry to sit on this group for the duration of the project. Volunteers are likely to come from printers, publishers (most likely from Production, Operations, Sales and/or Inventory Managment Departments), or distributors. Volunteers may also come from booksellers.

What skills are we looking for?
We need volunteers with an excellent eye for detail; an understanding of the differences between ASR, POD and short run and how these differences might influence any best practice guidelines; physical supply chain experience. Some EDI experience is desirable but not essential as is some understanding of availability metadata. Experience of working with ASR, POD and short run work flows is essential.

How long will we need our volunteers? What committment are we looking for?
The project will begin in January 2015 and we anticipate needed our volunteers for approximately 13 months.

The initial set up meeting will be face to face, with the opportunity for subsequent meetings to be via conference call.

There is a lot to be done and so monthly meeting are expected, and volunteers will be required to deliver against any actions that may be assigned in a timely manner.

We would ideally hope that all volunteers would attend every meeting.

Project Brief (signed off by the BIC Physical Supply Chain Committee)

 

4) Supply Chain Excellence Award (SCEA) Accreditation Scheme Review Task & Finish Working Group

What is the project about?
The e4books project (2004 to 2008) encouraged organisations in the book supply chain to invest in supply chain efficiencies in a number of areas and an accreditation scheme was set up to reward those that did so. When the e4books project ended, the accreditation scheme was reviewed and renamed as the Supply Chain Excellence Award. Over the last few years, this scheme has been updated on an ad hoc basis, to include new technologies and supply chain processes. This project will now carry out a formal review of this accreditation scheme to ensure it reflects current industry practices, BIC priorities and structures, and is fit for purpose. It will also look at increasing the appeal of the scheme to the industry to boost take up and look at the benefits of the scheme to BIC members /non-members and their trading partners. 

It is intended that the new scheme will: 

  • reflect the latest developments in the book supply chain
  • encourage supply chain participants to invest in the appropriate beneficial technology and best practice
  • be simple to understand with clear criteria throughout
  • be transparent in terms of what is being measured, how to apply, and the process involved in applying
  • be widely recognised and acknowledged as a desirable award

Who are we looking for?
We are looking for volunteers that have day to day involvement with, or are regularly impacted by the book industry supply chain (both physical and digital), and who may also have been involved in applying for accreditation in the past. We need input from, printers, publishers, distributors, wholesalers, shipper/freight forwarders, booksellers, library suppliers, systems and service providers and other intermediaries.

What skills are we looking for?
We are looking for volunteers with experience of the issues and challenges within the books industry supply chain (physical and/or digital). We need people with a great attention to detail, but also the ability to consider the supply chain in its entirety: to see the bigger picture and think creatively. The successful volunteer will ideally have digital supply chain experience and/or physical supply chain experience and will be authorised to fully represent their organisation and make key decisions on behalf of their organisation.

What level of commitment are we looking for?
We are looking for reliable volunteers that are committed to attending every project meeting. Volunteers will be asked to take on actions/additional work in order to deliver the project to schedule, and so applicants should be able to devote sufficient time to this project between meetings. 

The project is due to run from September 2016, through to November 2017, with a view to launching the new scheme in March 2018. 

It is estimated that the meetings will be held monthly - although this may be subject to change depending on the opinion of the Project Manager. Meetings will be a combination of face-to-face sessions and conference calls. 

Information about how to apply can be found at the bottom of this webpage.

Project Brief (signed off by the BIC Physical Supply Chain Committee)

 

5) Industry Returns Initiative (IRI) Review Task & Finish Working Group

What is the project about?
In 2005 BIC launched the Industry Returns Initiative after several years of work bringing the industry together to agree to implement a solution to take much of the cost out of managing returns. Towards the end of 2015 BIC held a workshop to review IRI and see whether it was still fit for purpose or required updating. The IRI Workshop identified that although IRI had been very successful, several areas need to be addressed as follows:

  • Check on the IRI Rule book and ensure understanding and standard implementation
  • Clarify areas that could be open to misinterpretation by new users / implementers
  • Refusal of some returns – is this a systems issue? A misinterpretation issue? (see above)
  • Accurate and timely sending of the 3rd message – many booksellers seem unaware of this requirement in the process
  • The importance of the 3rd message in improving returns at goods-in at distributors
  • Investigation of the reason(s) for the slow take up of IRI by distributors in the last few years
  • Reluctance by some publishers to implement IRI
  • Specific problems with returns EDI messages, e.g. identifiers 

The key aims of the project are: to breathe new life into The Industry Returns Initiative (IRI), sharpen up Best Practice and increase uptake; to ensure that the system/standard is still running smoothly since its creation 11 years ago; to solve any issues raised and identified by IRI participants/the project team; to maximise the benefits gained from using IRI on both sides of the supply chain; to educate and promote IRI to existing and new users and other interested parties such as publishers, retailers, distributors, and so on.

Who are we looking for?
We are looking for volunteers that have day to day involvement with, or are regularly impacted by the returns process, either from a technical, or business perspective, or both. We need input from, systems vendors, service providers, publishers, distributors, retailers, wholesalers, and other intermediaries.

What skills are we looking for?
We are looking for volunteers with experience of the issues and challenges faced by the industry as a result of the returns processes currently in place, ideally with hands-on experience (from a technical and/or business process perspective) of the IRI standard. We need people with a great attention to detail, but also the ability to consider the returns supply chain in its entirety: to see the bigger picture and think creatively. The successful volunteer will be authorised to fully represent their organisation and make key decisions on behalf of their organisation. They will also be in a position to regularly report back to their organisation on the progress being made by this project group. 

What level of commitment are we looking for?
We are looking for reliable volunteers that are committed to attending every project meeting. Volunteers will be asked to take on actions/additional work in order to deliver the project to schedule, and so applicants should be able to devote sufficient time to this project between meetings. 

The project is due to run from September 2016, through to July 2017. 

It is estimated the meetings will be held monthly - although this may be subject to change depending on the opinion of the Chair/Project Manager. Meetings will be a combination of face to face sessions and conference calls, usually lasting no more than 2 hours each.

Information about how to apply can be found at the bottom of this webpage.

Project Brief (signed off by the BIC Physical Supply Chain Committee)

 

BIC METADATA SUB-COMMITTEE:

1) Product Data Excellence Award (PDEA) Accreditation Scheme Review Task & Finish Working Group

What is the project about?
The purpose of the project is to review the current accreditation scheme to ensure it reflects and recognises the work practices of today's book industry.

The Working Group is charged with expanding the current scheme to include other industry sectors such as retailers, distributors, sales agents etc and to include suitable measures and statistics from other data services providers / aggregators in addition to Nielsen.

The new scheme must take into account new standards and developments such as Thema and ONIX 3.0.

Who are we looking for?
We are looking for volunteers to sit on this Working Group who have a good understanding of the current BIC Product Data Accreditation Scheme (they don't have to be experts, just have a good all round knowledge/awareness).

Volunteers should  have an appreciation of the value of timely, accurate metadata, and may already be working in this field within their organisation.

As we are opening the scheme up to also include retailers, distributors and so on, we are keen to recruit volunteers to this group from the following types of organisations:

  • Publishers
  • Retailers (on-line and bricks and mortar)
  • Data aggregators/service providers
  • Sales Agents
  • Distributors

What skills are we looking for?
We are looking for volunteers from within our BIC membership that have a good eye for detail, that understand the current Product Data Accreditation scheme, are analytical and have an appreciation of the challenges and intricacies of the full book (physical and/or digital) metadata supply chain. They may already work with metadata in their current role.

What level of commitment are we looking for?
We are looking for volunteers who can ideally commit to attending every meeting for the duration of the project and it is anticipated the initial few meetings will be held quite frequently, perhaps once a month/6weeks. Each meeting will be no longer than 2 hours. The first meeting will be face to face and subsequent meetings will be a combination of face to face and conference calls (at the discretion of the Project Lead).
For more information on the anticipated length of the project please refer to the Project Brief above.

Project Brief (signed off by the Metadata Sub-Committee and PDEA Accreditation Panel)

 

HOW TO APPLY TO SIT ON A TASK & FINISH WORKING GROUP:

The Project Briefing Documents for all current Task & Finish Working Groups can be found above. BIC members interested in joining any of the Groups should refer to the documentation below:

Please ensure you have read and fully understood the Terms of Reference before applying to sit on any Task & Finish Working Group, and that you are authorised to make key decisions on behalf of your organisation.